Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Unit 5 - Vague Wandering

Jubilant is defined as being the state of satisfaction, triumph, joy, exultation, of showing great joy.

The way I interpret it is also as the result of something, which might sound obvious. Someone might be happy simply because they are happy people. Their might be some reason why they are happy, but it is a happiness that is slowly built up. For example, one wakes up in the morning to find his breakfast ready and served in bed by a loving wife. (no this is no my dream) This man will start the day happy. He then arrives to his car and finds that someone has left a heart on his dirty car (that’s more like it), his happiness is therefore increase. This could go on all day, his happiness slowly building up, until he is happy.

We could argue the same thing about different types, lets call them slow emotions, such as resentment, hate, etc.

Coming back to my interpretation of a jubilant state, I would say it is a moment emotion. Similar ones would be anger, shock, etc.

What I have already defined is that emotions do need a catalyst. The difference, on a very simplistic level, is the amount of time involved and how long it takes for the subject to start feeling it. There are multiple definitions of emotions, and even more psychological studies of it. While it is important to understand the important aspects of the main theories, its is important as well not to get lost in pointless explanations of people's opinion's. The main idea here is to clearly define jubilation and how it can fit to a certain character.

Emotions are idiosyncratic and I must therefore define the character traits of my step ladder first before I jump into avid conclusions of unnecessary value.

What is a step ladder. A step ladder is not a ladder. It's as step ladder. It has two sides. Which means it can stand on it's own. It also means that it can use four legs to travel around.

It can be tall, it can be small, yet tall seems more interesting. What could characterize a step ladder. It makes people taller, so should it be seen as a pedestal, forced to bow down to higher power? Or does it find itself arch-important, as it is required to elevate people. A step ladder is stepped on, again bringing it down. What would make a step ladder jubilant. Being used for it's purpose? Or being used for something else. Do we consider the step ladder to be an intelligent and sophisticated character, or do we assume it is idiot. Being smart would imply it should become jubilant after something of something of major interest happened to it. If it is an idiot, the simplest thing could excite him. He could simply be used by it's owner and that might be reason for exultation.

What is it's gender? Humans are the first emotional creatures. All animals have emotions, but none show it as dramatically and strongly as humans. As this is the first major animation project I have ever done, I shall make him a male. Let me justify. As I am a male, it is easier for me to understand the emotional language that comes from jubilation. The slight movement of the body, the speed of action, everything will be easier to portray on an inanimate object.

My main idea right now involves cause and effect. I do not wish to simply start the story with a jubilant ladder, that ends with a jubilant ladder. The cause should not dominate the story but it must be understood by the audience. A cycle is necessary, or at least a reason why the step ladder acts in such a manner. Whether that will be too long and arduous to include I shall see.

My work plan for now will rely on different stages. This is obviously not final as I have yet to have any tutorials which might give me a better way of working.

Here is the order of how I want to work.

  • First, start off with the character animation. A simple dual interaction, with a simple horizon line should be sufficient for the story to be clear.
  • Second, I would work on improving the characters.
  • Thirdly, add a explanatory background. The background must not overwhelm the character's interaction. The Illusion of Life by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston has some very interesting explanations on how to do that.
  • Fourthly, add more detail to the whole ensemble.
  • Finally, add colour.

All of this is based on a time frame. The first has to be completed for the second one to be done. If I am able to work in layers than I might do the background first, setting up a few shots of it, and have the characters interact as if on a stage.

This will be marvellously interesting.

No comments: