Monday, November 8, 2010

Essay Proposal



The only video game I have ever really played was Guild Wars. When I was first introduced to the game, I was mind blown by the beautiful environment and great characters. I then had a look at the production process, the concepts especially. This is when I really fell in love with the game, as I saw it as the highest level of artistic freedom found in any game, with a conceptual work which is now a reference in the industry.


One day I heard they where making Guild Wars 2, at which point I fainted. Daniel Dociu and Kekai Kotaki, the two main concept artist who symbolize the GW2 style, are churning out work of the highest quality. Theirs is few pieces of modern work, as in the last decade, that inspires me as much. Their extremely loose and stylised way of painting, which implies more than it actually describes is stunning.



So I will do my critical review of their artistic style and how it evolves into the final game, or something similar. This game has had an influence on my artistic choices and means a lot to me, definitely not as a actual video game meant for entertainment, but as a creative process with the most incredible art produced in the end.




P.S. I am not a fan of putting other people's work on my blog, as it distracts from my own portfolio.

No comments: